In 1852, Elmira College began as The Auburn Female University in Cayuga County. A year later it moved to its present location in Elmira where Cowles Hall, the College’s oldest building, was constructed in 1855. The college became coeducational in 1969.
The 115 foot Lucifer Falls is located in Robert Treman State Park in Tompkins County. The Treman family donated the land to New York State in 1920.
Henry Walton’s (1804-1865) earliest works, ca. 1820, were lithographs and mezzotints of landscapes and town views from the Finger Lakes region of central New York State. By 1842, Walton had moved to Ithaca, where he became an accomplished painter. In addition to his depictions of the Finger Lakes, Walton was a noted portraitist who painted with exacting detail and precision.
On loan from the Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University
Ithaca, located on the southern end of Cayuga Lake became a city in 1888 and is home to both Cornell University and Ithaca College.
John F. Kensett (1816-1872) was an important member of the second generation of Hudson River School painters. After spending time working as an engraver in Albany, Kensett made his first trip to Europe, determined to become a painter. In 1848, Kensett established a studio in New York City where he lived and worked as a successful painter for the rest of his life.
On loan from the History Center in Tompkins County
The City of Binghamton sits at the confluence of the Chenango and Susquehanna Rivers and became a city in 1867.
Edward Beyer (1820-1865) was born in Germany and traveled to America in the wake of the German Revolution of 1848. Beyer worked in the Northeastern United States, where he became known as an acclaimed painter of large panoramic landscape views. Beyer returned to Germany before the outbreak of the Civil War.
On loan from the Roberson Museum and Science Center