Butterfield Farm was located two miles east of Pompey Hill. It was owned by Dr. Edward F. Butterfield of Syracuse who advertised himself as a “Clairvoyant Physician” and traveled throughout New York State. Dr. Butterfield commissioned the painting from the artist.
Sanford Thayer (1820 – 1880) started his career at age 17 by painting the backs of sleighs for a wagon shop in Skaneateles. It was there he met and became a friend of artist Charles Loring Elliott. Thayer became well known for painting portraits and Adirondack landscapes.
The station for the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad was built in 1877 and was demolished in 1940. The painting depicts the station shortly before its removal. A new station was built on the same site.
Wilfred John Addison (1890 – 1969) was a painter, illustrator and printmaker. He studied at the Art Students League and the National Academy of Design. He later lived in Syracuse where he served as the Art Director for Crouse Hinds Company for 21 years.